Monday, November 4, 2013

Ceremonial

A lot of people have asked me why I chose to go back to Sweden now, instead of waiting for the holidays. It's quite simple: I wanted to partake in the Conferment of Doctoral Degrees at the University of Gothenburg, which took place on October 25.

Crystal clear? No...?

Okay, the Conferment of Doctoral Degrees (doktorspromotion in Swedish) is the university’s largest ceremonial occasion when new doctors, jubilee doctors and honorary doctors receive their insignia as confirmation of their position at the university. I was supposed to attend last year's ceremony, but since it took place shortly after my move to Seattle I chose to postpone it until now.

The 2.5-h ceremony was highly formal and perhaps not the most action packed activity I've engaged in, but I'm nevertheless very glad I went. I'm even happier that my brother, sister, mother, father, aunt, and two grandmothers could share this big day with me. And they certainly did it in style; the ceremony was followed by a banquet with formal attire, and all of them had gone through the trouble of gearing up properly for the occasion. Much appreciated!

The handsome parents.


The brother (a.k.a. the date for the evening).

 

The siblings (and the diploma).


The Frosts.


For those who have 6 minutes and 13 seconds to spare, here's a video from the University of Gothenburg showing some highlights from the ceremony.

Even though I've had my doctoral degree for over a year now, this ceremony truly marked the end of my graduate studies. Icing on the cake!

4 comments:

  1. Fina bilder! 6min & 13sek har jag nuförtiden ofta över ;) Såg dig i bakgrunden när de delade ut priserna.
    Kram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi ja där sitter jag och ser lagom stel ut...

      Delete
  2. Vad snygga ni var allihop! :) Och härligt att hela familjen kunde vara med och fira din prestation.

    Du får komma tillbaka till Sverige snart igen så jag får chans att umgås med dig mera.

    kramar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack! Vi kände oss faktiskt rätt tjusiga - en får ju passa på... ;) Tyvärr dröjer det nog ett tag innan jag återser Sverige igen, men jag kommer till våren. Då ska jag inte smita iväg som Askungen på bal, jag lovar! Kramar

      Delete