Sunday, September 9, 2012

Weekend wanderings

My first weekend in Seattle turned out to be top-notch. Saturday started out with a relaxed jog in Green Lake Park, a lovely place for enjoying the morning sun together with walkers and bikers - not to mention all the soccer kids who roam the nearby athletic fields. More exploring ensued after that, in Capitol Hill and downtown Seattle. The evening was spent with the head of the lab I'm working in, Oliver, and his adorable wife Nancy who invited me over for dinner at their house. Sitting on their terrace munching tacos, drinking wine and looking out over Lake Washington it felt more like July than September, and Nancy taught me a new word: sky-blue-pink, which perfectly described the color of the sky that surrounded us. A great evening with a great couple!

Sunday began in the same way with a jog around Green Lake. At noon, Shani and Scott - two married colleagues from the Press lab - picked me up to go wine tasting East of Lake Washington. The county is called Woodinville and holds over 90 wineries of which we visited 4. We started with the most exclusive one, Betz, and then moved on to JM Cellars, Chateau Ste Michelle and finally Woodinville Whiskey Co.

JM cellars. Really cozy!
I think I tried at least 12 different wines, and at the last location we knocked back some bourbon and vodka to really put the icing on the cake. (Well, Scott and I did - Shani was the designated driver and had to make do with cheese and snacks.)

Shani and I at Chateau Ste Michelle. I've obviously had enough wine to feel the need for holding on to my glass with two hands (and this was before the vodka). An unusual Sunday afternoon.

All in all, we had a really fun time and I learned a lot, not only about wine but also about American football, which we watched simultaneously on Scott's iphone. Hopefully, we'll do this again some time!

2 comments:

  1. Seems you´ve got a nice start over there my dear friend! Good idea with a blog! So emerald city? is it really green? seems nice :)
    lots of hugs <3

    ReplyDelete