Friday, September 14, 2012

Eating from the tree of knowledge

Completed part II of the radiation safety training yesterday; great fun, just like part I! Among the more memorable lessons learned was that the FHCRC is not particularly fond of employees deliberately misusing radioactive substances, for instance by mixing radioiodine into their ex-lovers' food. This is apparently "Not tolerated by the Center". Glad we cleared that out!

I myself probably made an interesting impression on the rest of the group as I attempted to discreetly eat what must have been the noisiest apple on this side of the Pacific during class. I tried to remain poker faced as the sounds of my chewing echoed across the room, but I'm not sure how well that worked out.

Although this training was intended mainly for people with little or no experience of working with radiation, it was still useful to me as it included information on the routines, rules and regulations at the FHCRC. I must say that they really have an excellent program for radiation safety here, and the responsible staff seems extremely helpful and competent. That is a truly great asset!

No comments:

Post a Comment